the story so far
about TOMMY TIERNAN
Comedian - Actor - TV Presenter
Born: 16th June 1969
Place: Carndonagh, County Donegal, Ireland.
• First Stand-up Show ‘Stop the Train’ in Kings Head Galway Ireland
• Appeared for the first time in Stand-Up Show, BBC. Tommy hosted the program up to 2002
• Wins Channel 4 “So You Think You’re Funny” Award for best newcomer at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival
• TV and Film work
• Appeared for the first time on the popular TV chat show “The Late Late Show” in Ireland
• Wins “Perrier Award” at the Edinburgh Festival
• Wins ‘Best Stand Up Award” at the British Comedy Awards
• Appeared in Father Ted TV show as Fr Kevin
• Appeared in ‘How to Love in the 21st Century’ and ‘Small Potatoes’ for C4
• Wins Hotpress Readers Poll for “Best Comedian in Ireland”
• Continued touring
• ‘Green Green Grass of Home’ documentary filmed about Tommy and his home town Navan
• Appeared in the film ‘About Adam’ with Kate Hudson
• Toured UK and Ireland with ‘Tommy Tiernan Live’ show
• ‘Supertramp’ TV show on RTE, a documentary about Tommy’s Irish tour that lasted 6 weeks where Tommy walked 650 miles across Ireland performing shows in small regional theatres
• Released ‘Tommy Tiernan Live’ DVD
• Wins Orange ‘Best of the Fest Award’ at the Edinburgh Festival
• Performed at the Aspen Comedy Festival
• Performed at the Just For Laughs Festival where he received a standing ovation at the Gala
• UK Tour
• Performed at the ‘The World Comedy Tour’ Melbourne
• Started touring the show ‘Cracked’ in Ireland, US and the UK
• Performed at the New York British Comedy Festival
• Had his own radio show called ‘Comic Inquisition’ on RTE 1
• Performed at the Brighton Comedy Festival
• Loose Tour; Ireland, UK and US. Tommy broke all Irish box office records with this tour by selling out in venues across Ireland including a staggering 104 dates in Dublin’s 1000 seater theatre Vicar St.
• Released ‘Cracked-Live at Vicar St’ DVD. This went straight to number 1 in the 1st week of release.
• JFL Montreal which saw 2000 Canadians on their feet crying out for more
• Toured Asia
• Released “Loose’ DVD. It went straight to number 1 in the first week of release and reached 8 times Platinum status
• Toured America with the ‘Improv Comedy Club Tour’, included was a 3 week solo run at the UCLA. He also sold out a 4 week run in NY which was extended by a further two weeks due to demand.
• Appeared in the RTE documentary ‘Flann O’Brien: The Lives of Brian’
• Had his own radio show on Galway Bay FM
• RTE aired ‘Jokerman: Tommy Tiernan takes on America’
• Made his debut at the ‘Late Show with David Letterman’, USA
• Headlined the first ever Irish Gala at the Montreal International Comedy Festival
• Toured Canada as the headline artist on the Just for Laughs national tour
• Wins ‘Ireland’s Funniest Living Person’ Award
• Released ‘Jokerman-Tommy Tiernan in America’ DVD. It went straight to number 1 in the 1st week of release. It reached quadruple Platinum status.
• ‘100 Greatest Stand-Ups’ BBC TV show featured Tommy Tiernan
• ‘Jokerman’ DVD nominated for IFTA award
• Just for Laughs Tour, National Canadian tour
• Started his ‘OK Baby’ Tour in Ireland
• Released ‘OK Baby’ DVD, it became the best selling DVD of the year
• Started the ‘Bovinity’ Tour. The tour culminated in 3 sold out shows to a total audience of 12,000 in the Marquee Cork. No other artist, Irish or international has ever managed to do this
• Presented ‘Tommy and Hector Show’ on iRadio
• Appeared in the ‘Late Show with David Letterman’ in New York
• Released ‘Something Mental’ DVD in America. It was aired on America’s huge Comedy Network ‘Comedy Central’ and a month later re-aired on their popular ‘Secret Stash’ comedy slot.
• Set the Guinness World Record for the longest Stand-Up Comedy Show by an individual by a staggering 36 hrs and 15 minutes.
• Completed many sell out “World Tours’ of various counties in Ireland
• Re-released a new edit of his number 1 selling DVD ‘Cracked (the Comedian’s Cut) Live at Vicar St’
• Hosted ‘Tommy and Hector’s Craic House’ with Hector which aired nationally.
• Performed at the Royal Albert Hall and the Udderbelly Festival
• Performed at the Toronto Just for Laughs Festival
• Performed at the Edinburgh Festival; his show received 5 stars
• Sold out his Australian & New-Zealand Tour
• 6 week UK Solo Tour
• Performed at ‘Comix’ New York
• ‘The Tommy and Hector Radio show’ moved from iRadio to the national Irish broadcaster 2FM
• Completed numerous Irish “World Tours”
• Headlined the “Michael McIntyre Comedy Roadshow”
• Solo run at Toronto’s Comedy Festival
• Australian-New Zealand solo tour; doubled in size since last year
• Very successful Canadian Just for Laughs solo tour
• Performed at the ‘Laughs in the Park’ with Ross Noble and Eddie Izzard
• Filmed ‘Dave’s One Night Stand’
• Released ‘Crooked Man’ DVD
• Sold out 15 nights at Vicar St, 1000 seater theatre in Dublin
• Toured the Irish counties Waterford, Wicklow, Cork, Galway and Limerick with great reviews
• Continued his very successful Irish “World Tours” visiting 15 counties this year
• Performed at the JFL Montreal Gala, Canada and received a standing ovation
• BAFTA screening of Tommy’s latest DVD ‘Crooked Man’
• Sold out run at Vicar St 1,000 seat theatre Dublin
• Wrote, directed and performed his own TV special ‘Little Cracker” for SKY TV. Following its success Sky has commissioned Tommy to write a sitcom which he will begin to shoot this Summer.
• Performed his 200th show in the 1000 seater Vicar St Dublin. No other artist nationally or internationally has ever achieved this amount of shows there.
• Made his debut in Dubai performing in the Grand Dubai Tennis Stadium
• Sold out Canadian National tour of ‘Stray Sod” to standing ovations
• A first ‘World Tour of the Islands’ where Tommy ventured to the smaller islands off the West coast of the mainland. Sell out World Tours of Northern-Ireland, Cork, Carlow, Kilkenny and Kildare.
• Sold out tours of ‘Stray Sod’ in both Australia & New-Zealand in October
• Sold out two week run at The Soho Theatre, London
• Completed his first European Tour. Each show was completely improvised from scratch each evening. This tour was filmed as a documentary for RTE called 'Tommy: To tell you the truth'.
Tommy continued doing the full length improvised shows as well as his structured stand up shows both in Ireland and the U.K.
• Tommy performed at the Latitude and Cambridge Comedy Festivals in the UK before heading back for a one week run at the 'Just For Laughs Festival' in Montreal in July.
• Tommy continued his World Tours of Ireland and filmed his new 'Stray Sod' DVD in Glebe Gardens Amphitheatre, Baltimore in August. The first stand up DVD ever to be recorded in a field, it went to double platinum status in one month.
• Started his brand new 'Out of the Whirlwind' Stand Up Tour
• Appeared on the Alan Davies ‘As yet Untitled’ Show and Live at the Palladium
• Completed 14 sold out shows in the 1000 seater Vicar St Dublin
• March saw Tommy perform in Dubai and Moscow
• Tommy toured Canada in April and was asked to come back for the Just for Laughs Comedy Gala in October
• After selling out two weeks in Soho Theatre London in 2014 Tommy was back in June with another two week run
• Appeared twice in the "As Yet Untitled" Alan Davies show. He also made an appearance on the ‘QI’ show with Stephen Fry.
• Tommy toured this year Ireland, UK and mainland Europe
• August saw Tommy returning to Edinburgh Festival Fringe for a two week run
• Filmed 'The Tommy Tiernan Show' in December which was broadcast on RTE. The show was such a success it will return in Autumn 2016.
Tommy toured ‘Out of the Whirlwind’ in Ireland, UK and Europe, Australia &N.Z.
In February he filmed the Alan Davies Show ‘As Yet Untitled’. It was broadcast on Dave TV. In April he performed on ITV’s ‘Tonight At The Palladium’.
Filmed the Russell Howard ‘Stand Up Central’ Show.
Filmed “Meetings with Ivor”. An Alan Gilsenan's film on the groundbreaking psychiatrist Ivor Browne.
Tommy returned to the Edinburgh Festival Fringe for 22 solo shows in the Gilded Balloon Debating Hall.
In September Tommy took to the road again with his new show ‘Under The Influence’.
In October Tommy filmed the pilot episode of his new talk show ‘The Tommy Tiernan Show’. Tommy’s own format and a chat show with a difference as neither Tommy nor the studio audience know who the guests will be until they walked out on stage!
Tommy performed to a sold out Big Top audience at the Galway Comedy Festival in October.
In November Tommy released a new DVD ‘Out of the Whirlwind’ filmed as part of his run in Edinburgh.
Tommy appeared on the Brendan O’Connor’s current affairs show ‘The Cutting Edge’.
Tommy began publishing his ‘The Badger’ columns for the Connaught Tribune in Galway.
In December Tommy made a guest appearance on the ‘Ray D’Arcy Show’.
Tommy sold out 13 Vicar St shows with ‘Under The Influence’ and to meet ticket demand added 8 more shows for later that year.
To date his ‘Under the Influence’ Tour has been an enormous success already selling out 5 shows in Derry’s Millenium Forum and 4 shows in the Cork Opera House.
In July Tommy sold out Live At The Marquee in Cork which holds an audience of 5,000.
The first episode of the 6 part series of ‘The Tommy Tiernan Show’ aired Thursday Jan 5 th to rave reviews across the board from media and viewers alike, so much so #thetommytiernanshow blew up Twitter & Facebook! It was a strong start to the series with an average of 321,000 people tuning in to the show.“ I can confidently say that I've seen the future of the Irish chat show - and it's name is Tommy Tiernan” –Michael O’Doherty The Herald
Tommy started writing a weekly column for “Life Magazine” for The Sunday Independent.
In May Tommy appeared for the second time on the hugely popular Brendan O’Connor ‘Cutting Edge’ programme on RTE2.
Tommy filmed a guest appearance in the new Hardy Bucks movie.
In June & July Tommy travelled to Belfast & Derry to film C4’s “Derry Girls”, a brand new 6 part comedy series written by Lisa McGee and set against the backdrop of the troubles.
Tommy performed at the “Kilkenny Cat Laughs Comedy Festival”
On the 18th of June Tommy performed “Manwatching” at the Mac Theatre in Belfast. “Manwatching” is a one man play where the performer gets his script right at the start of the show. It has been written by an anonymous woman and the performer has never seen it before.
July saw Tommy return to sell out shows at the “Vodafone Comedy Festival” at the Iveagh Gardens Dublin.
In August Tommy took up his month-long residency at the Gilded Balloon Debating Hall as part of the “Edinburgh Fringe Festival”.
September saw Tommy return to Vicar Street for a number of shows.
He also filmed the new Dave Allen biopic ‘Dave Allen at Peace’ playing the role of Dave Allen’s father Cully Tynan O’Mahony. Broadcast date will be December 2017 on BBC 1.
In September he also filmed ‘Dark Lies The Island’ written by acclaimed Irish writer Kevin Barry and directed by Ian Fitzgibbon which will go on general cinema release in 2018.
In October Tommy performed in Reykjavik, Iceland.
He also performed a number of shows as part of The Galway Comedy Festival and continues his Irish tour dates for “Under The Influence"
In November Tommy will begin filming for the second series of the ‘Tommy Tiernan Show’ for RTE.
Tommy continues to write his weekly column for The Sunday Independent “Life” Magazine.
Returned to the stage with Druid's "Sive" production. Tommy played the role of Thomasheen Sean Ruan to rave reviews.
Finished his ‘Under the Influence’ Tour which has not only been a great success in Ireland but also abroad.
Performed at the Glasgow International Festival
Performed at Comic Relief in Dublin in the 3 Arena
In June Tommy sold out Live At The Marquee in Cork again which holds an audience of 5,000.
In June he recorded his new DVD 'Under The Influence' in the Water Rats venue in London. The DVD released in November.
He filmed the second series of ‘The Tommy Tiernan Show’
October and November saw Tommy travelling to Belfast & Derry to film C4’s second series of “Derry Girls”
July saw Tommy return to sell out shows at the “Vodafone Comedy Festival” at the Iveagh Gardens Dublin.
In December Tommy started his new tour called 'Paddy Crazy Horse'.
Tommy continued to write a weekly column for “Life Magazine” for The Sunday Independent.
Tommy sold out 17 Vicar St shows with ‘Paddy Crazy Horse’ and to meet ticket demand added 10 more shows for September and October.
In March C4 aired the second series of the Derry Girls. The second series got fantastic reviews and a third series is planned.
April saw Tommy tour the UK with 'Paddy Crazy Horse'
Tommy announced two Live At The Marquee in Cork shows for July.
The first episode of the third series of ‘The Tommy Tiernan Show’ aired Saturday May 4th to rave reviews across the board from media and viewers alike. This season will see 8 episodes.
August sawTommy return to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival where he played a week in the Gilded Balloon Debating Hall.
October and November will bring Tommy to Scotland for a tour.
Tommy finished writing his weekly column for The Sunday Independent “Life” Magazine.
Tommy lives in the West of Ireland